Italian Sausage Heros…
How good does that look?
Italian Sausage Heros
- 8 ounces bulk Italian sausage
- 4 ounces lean ground beef
- ½ cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1 garlic, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 4 ounce can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- ¼ cup sliced pitted ripe olives (optional)
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (3 ounces)
- 4 French-style rolls or hoagie buns, split lengthwise
- In a large skillet, cook meat, onion, and garlic over medium heat until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain off fat.
- Meanwhile, in a 1½-quart slow cooker, combine ketchup, mushrooms, olives (if desired), and Italian seasoning. Stir in meat mixture.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting* for 4 to 5 hours.
- To serve, place half of the cheese evenly on roll bottoms. Spoon meat mixture over cheese. Top with remaining cheese and roll tops.